Monday, October 7, 2013

Hamlet

In William Shakespeare's play Hamlet, the main character, Hamlet (a bit obvious), comes across as mysterious and somewhat lonely. His father died a little over a month ago, and his mother is already getting married to none other than his uncle, his father's brother. His uncle is the King of Denmark, making his mother the new Queen of Denmark. Hamlet is still mourning his father's death, and resents the fact that his mom seems to have moved on so quickly, although he is not able to say anything about it. Hamlet is repeatedly told to face the death of his father and move on, being told "'Tis unmanly grief."(I.2.98)
A day before this, the guards of the castle have seen a ghost appear around midnight for 3 days in a row. An advisor to the king, named Horatio saw the ghost and has said that the ghost has the likeness of the late father of Hamlet. While no one has told this to the king or his soon to be wife, Horatio, tells Hamlet. When he hears of this, Hamlet hopes to catch sight of the ghost, saying wishfully, " I would I had been there."(I.2.25) Hamlet seems to miss his father a lot, although neither his mother or his uncle seem to share that same opinion.
To me, Hamlet seems like a kind prince who has just suffered a great loss. He sounds neutral about the loss, saying very matter-of-factly," Together with all forms, moods, shapes of grief/ that can denote me truly. These indeed "seem"/ For they are actions a man might play;/ But I have that within which passes show,/ These but the trappings and the suits of the woe."(I.2.85-89). Hamlet has also shown that he is obedient, saying ,"But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue. "(164). Loyalty and sympathy have also been traits used do describe him, like when the King says,"...'tis a loving and a fair reply" (I.2.125) Overral, I think Hamlet is a innocent, sad prince who has done nothing to deserve my scorn, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment